Friday, February 01, 2013

Four Books That Influenced My Feminism


Pink Think: Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons
by Lynn Peril

A look into the world of marketing towards women dating from the 1940's and on. Pink Think questions the motives behind the soft, submissive, blushing lines of girlhood. I have never been apologetic about my scabbed knees and bruised shins, but I have questioned why others saw these as flaws. This book is an eye opener in terms of seeing the intention of everyday media and shining a light on the neat, little boxes we're supposed to fit in.


Bare: On Women Dancing, Sex and Power
by Elisabeth Eaves

A peek behind the curtain, Bare, explores the power of the female body and the industry behind it. Eaves gives firsthand accounts of what it means to be seen as a pair of breasts and a set of legs in today's culture. 


Cunt: A Declaration of Independence
by Inga Muscio

If you know me well you already know this book. Gun to my head I'd claim it as my favorite. Read at a time when the world was a spinning cesspool of hormonal lust laughs, Miss Muscio made sense. Lady love over here begins by breaking down the origin of words that today make soccer moms cringe. From there she shares stories dealing with the "complications" and misunderstandings that come from owning your very own cunt. I swear on my female bits that this piece of literature changed my life.



Rise of the Trustfall
by Mindy Nettifee

This book of poems is magical. Mindy carefully weaves stories of heartbreak and triumph with her words. 

"There is no breakthrough without breakdown."

Watch her in action here:
The First Time

2 comments: