Wednesday, January 22, 2014

To Portland.

I've been creatively stalling. 

So, I crept through some old notebooks and found very few journal entries of my trip to the other side of the country.

I dated none of the entries. I randomly write down what we're listening to between thoughts.
As part of thoughts.

I'll leave everything completely unedited. It may not be perfect, but I was tired. It's true.

Without further ado, I give you a small piece of my life.


Monday night we packed up our car and left for our journey. We have pork roast, mashed potatoes and carrots with my mom, dad, Ryan and Laura before a little rest. When Maya fell asleep for the night we drove. Stopped around 4am at a hotel outside Chicago. Didn't get to see the city. Everything looks like Ohio.


Got up early the next morning and drove through Iowa. Stopped at a mall to walk around. Got my skirt stuck in my underwear twice. Nothing for miles but trees, fields and cows. Maya is being so good & having lots of fun.


It's all very romantical. Perfect weather. Clouds for miles. Clouds that, without the help of multiple cameras you couldn't see what I see right now. Even when it rains the sun shines. Maya has been laughing for three days straight. I'm reading, saving my pages with cards from my wedding.


Grateful Dead through Iowa. Zero 7 and Iron & Wine through Nebraska. Washing her bottles in a tiny sink with a tiny bottle of dish soap. She's snoring now. Sounds like a purring kitten. Sun on my skin and using my coat as a blanket. Bare feet on the headboard or the dashboard or leaving prints on the window.

The White Stripes! 


I can picture tornados ripping through these fields. Black & white Dorothy-type movie sets that go on forever. Getting out of the car for the first time in the middle of nowhere sucks the air from your lungs. You are so freaking small. And for a moment it's terrifying, but soon you enough you wrap yourself in it like a towel. And you just know that this is where you're supposed to be in this very moment. When everything is right and good and everythingThe Postal Service.


Today we left Cheyenne, WY for Idaho. Drove through Utah. Gorgeous. I wanted so badly to run from the car and cover myself in earthy, red dirt. Maya was over being in the car today. A little fussy, but after stopping and letting her jump & crawl she fell asleep to "Red Right Ankle" by the Decemberists. Drinking a bottle and holding my hand. This is the first time I think I can recall her ever legitimately seeking out my hand and holding it. I rubbed her arm. Exchanging glances with the mountains and the sunset. Get out of here. This is my life.


My heart is soaring. This is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Maya needs a bath so bad. She has had one in some form every day except this last. And now she looks like a homeless person. After one day in a car. It's adorable. I look pretty gross, too, but I feel amazing with formula stains on my skirt. Rinsing out her bottles in a parking lot. My husband driving to three different places to piece together what we want for dinner. Falling asleep after the first sip of beer. Jamming out to Miley Cyrus on the radio after thinking previously that my stream of thoughts was very reach for the stars Hannah Montana bullshit. It's true though. This is, has been fantastic. A family adventure. A journey to a new life. Or rather a continuation of this one. Like an afghan. Switching up the color of the crochet pattern halfway through.




No comments:

Post a Comment