Tuesday, March 15, 2011

One tough little cookie.



Flipping through the latest issue of some girl magazine I paused upon a page kissed with Nirvana lyrics, tattered jeans and plaid.

Didn't we just do this?

I'll be damned if someone's going to try and make me wear a scrunchie again.

I mean, I get it. Lots of things are cyclical. Fads and trends in pop culture come and go before you can even make it to the mall.

 At some point I stopped caring about keeping up with the catalog crowd and started creating an actual image of myself. I'm sure it won't be long before the rest of the trends I've already had to suffer through will creep back in. 

With all this laid out in front of me my thoughts on grunge soon lead me to punk. Another playlist soon followed. I make no apologies for how musical I feel lately.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you my punk rock childhood.

This list is not limited to "punk" music. I'm not good at classifying things. Keeping certain artists or songs in little boxes. Doesn't seem natural. 


Some of it's just loud.
Some of it my parents didn't like and my friends didn't get.

Call it what you will.
It all falls under the same category for me.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I was the owner of a Leonardo DiCaprio fan magazine and I thought I knew what it meant to "Spice up your life!", but that quickly segued into something like this...




Shoplifting - The Slits

Beat on the Brat - The Ramones 

Last Caress - The Misfits

Miss Take - Horrorpops

Crack Rock Steady - Choking Victim

Prisoner of Society - The Living End

Big Brat - Phantom Planet

Everything is Alright - Motion City Soundtrack

Tall Cans in the Air - The Transplants

Shut Me Up - Mindless Self Indulgence
Punk Rock Love - The Casualties


It's music like this that lead me to my first pair of fishnet stockings and my favorite tacky red lipstick.


It gave me the courage to be not one of the guys, but a girl among boys.


Made me feel strong enough to walk down the street by myself and open my own damn beer.


And yet, still soft enough to not apologize for my tears after I watch someone I love get kicked in the face.



[I was] One tough little cookie.


For all of my lovely third-shifters and insomniacs out there.
Get your free Nescafe instant coffee pack here
You're welcome!


Edit: Looking at this again I think...this is like Diet Punk. Punk Light. Punk with a cherry on top! 

3 comments:

  1. i will always welcome grunge being in fashion because uh...well, i've always loved it since i was a kid. can't help it.

    but also, you asked me for musical recommendations and i dunno i have much to offer in the "punk" genre. maybe check out ifyoumakeit.com? they have a lot of free albums/EPs for download- candy hearts, mountain asleep, grown ups, american war, slingshot dakota, snowing and halo fauna are my main recommendations from those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm alright with holes in my jeans and flannel. Nothing wrong with those. I just think it's funny how fast we tear through fads and trends. Seeing them repeat in fashion magazines and all that. I'll continue to wear what makes me happy no matter what. :)

    Thanks for checking it out, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. more like.... stiff little fingers, agent orange, Gold finger, municple waste, leftover crack, sublime,(LBDA), choking victim, ( crackrock steady 7 ) offspring, nofx, operation ivy, circle jerks, minor threat, lars and the bastards a WHOLE LOTTA pop punk and thrash etc.... ha ha im a MOD. always have been, always will be. Old soul

    ReplyDelete